- Median age of owner-occupied homes is 37 years
- Biden-Harris housing plan targets $640B over 10 years to safe, affordable, accessible, and renovated housin
Demographics of Aging Housing Stock
According to Freddie Mac, close to 80% of Americaâ€™s housing stock is at least 20 years old.Â Within that 80%, 38% of the countryâ€™s aging housing stock was built prior to 1970.
The median age of owner-occupied homes in the US is 37 years.
Areas of the country with the highest levels of aging housing stock are California, the Midwest, Mid-Atlantic and Northeastern regions of the country.Â In these states and regions, the median age of aging housing stockman be as high as 40-60 years.
Data from the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB)Â indicates that a full 55% of homes built before 1970 are owned and occupied by homeowners ages 55 years and up, according to HousingWire.
Renovation Boom Could Positively Impact Older Home
Rather than demolishing and removing some 1.7M older homes from 2009 to 2016 that would have doubled the countryâ€™s housing stock by 2017, according to the National Association of REALTORSÂ® (NAR), lenders who focus in on helping borrowers and investors understand new renovation loan solutions could helpâ€¦
- Their lending institutionsâ€™ own bottom lines
- Owner-occupants remain in their own homes more safely and energy efficiently
- Help improve the nationâ€™s critical inventory shortages
- Help satisfy increasing consumer demand for housing
- Help encourage the engagement of developers and investors in renovating older housing stock
Biden-Harris Housing Plan
According to the White House, the Biden-Harris Housing Plan intends to invest $640 over 10 years in affordable, accessible, energy efficient and stable housing.
Specifically with this plan is the HOME program.Â HOME would establish a $100B Affordable Housing Fund to construct and upgrade affordable housing.Â Several components within the HOME program include:
- $65B as new incentives for state housing authorities
- $10B to make homes more energy efficient
- $5B to increase affordable housing stock in conjunction with larger community development efforts
- $20B increased funding for the Housing Trust Fund
- $13B over 5 years to enact Ending Homelessness Act
- $10B over 10 years for flexible funding for Community Development Block Grant
- $5B annually to expand New Markets Tax Credit Program
- $300M for Local Housing Policy Grants
- Expansion of Low-Income Housing Tax Credit for real estate developers
- Applying Community Reinvestment Act to mortgage and insurance companies
Freddie Mac Proposes Broader Financing Options
A Harvard University study indicates that the renovation market has grown more than +50% since 2009.Â During the onset of the COVID pandemic and its subsequent lockdowns, the DIY renovation market surged to nearly $420B, or more than +3% while the US economy shrank by -3.5% in 2020
Homeowners with the wherewithal to pay for those renovations in cash or via insurance did.Â Homeowners with low incomes spent less than $500 on home improvements if they were able to spend any amount at all on renovations or repairs.
Here are elements within Freddie Macâ€™sÂ proposal that would include renovation mortgages with features such as:
- Single-closing transactions that would include financing for home purchases and renovation costs
- No cash-out refinancing assistance for current homeowners or potential buyers
- Ability of lenders to sell loans during construction but before renovations completed
- Expanded eligible renovations to include housing resiliency to help prevent and repair vagrancies caused by natural disasters and to include energy efficiency updates
Meanwhile, Regions Bank, a Utah-based subsidiary ofÂ CMS Energy, is placing a $1B bet on the home renovation market.
RegionsÂ intends to acquire EnerBank USA,a bank that specializes in home improvement lending.Â EnerBankÂ works with a network of 10,000 contractors and develops personalized loan programs funded via its balance sheet backed byÂ FDIC-insured brokered CDs while also charging fees to its contractor clients
Thanks to Freddie Mac, US White House, National Association of Home Builders, National Association of REALTORSÂ®, HousingWire and Harvard University.
URGENT: 2021 Results Released. New FREE On-Line Web Event Reveals 17 Surprising Secrets Of The Top 100 Millionaire Agents. Get Your FREE Spot For The On-Line Webinar Now. When You Attend This Event You Will Have A Sense Of Relief Knowing You Can FINALLY Laugh At Your Money Worries – If You Follow This Simple Plan. Learn How To Generate 100’s of Motivated Leads Without Coming Off As A Pushy Salesperson and Losing Your Soul. Learn Now How To Become One of the 1000s of Agents Making HUGE Money NOW Who Never Thought They Could.
P.S. Limited Space Available. 235 Spots Left.